Birthdates: Children born between 5/1/03 and 4/30/03; 7-8 years old on 4/30/2012
Able to play catch with a hardball baseball and catch the ball with a mitt
Able to throw with a relatively normal (but still developing) throwing motion
Able to properly hold and swing a bat at a slow (over or underhand) pitch
2011 REGISTRATION GUIDELINES
1. ELIGIBILITY: Pinto Division is 8 and under. Player birthdays must fall between MAY 1, 2003 AND APRIL 30, 2005. Players born after May 1, 2005 can register on the waiting list. The cutoff between being 8 and 7 is April 30th, 2004.
2. EVALUATION: There will be a formal evaluation on the weekend of JANUARY, 2012 (day & time TBD).
3. NUMBER OF PLAYERS: The division will consist of 8 teams of 12 players each (96 players).
1. If we exceed 96 players during the online registration period a Waiting List will be compiled for all players who register and are not in the first group of 96.
1. Waiting List preference will be given to:
- Returning 8 year old players.
- First year 8 year old players.
- 7 year old players.
- 6 year old players.
4. FORMAT: Pinto is the 8 and under format played under the PONY system. OBA chooses to employ the coach – pitch model. The focus of the Division is to expose players to the basic skill sets of baseball, teach them how to be part of a competitive team, how to handle success and failure, to display good sportsmanship, to make new friends, and most importantly to have fun!
5. COMPETITION: Pinto baseball is a clear step up in competitiveness from what most players will have experienced. There are wins and losses, standings are kept, Tournament and All-Star teams are selected, and the season is quite a bit longer.
6. PRACTICE: Practice’s begin the second week of February (weather permitting). There are two scheduled practices per week plus additional weekend practices early in the season. Players are expected to attend all practices.
7. GAMES: there is a 12 game regular season followed by a double elimination playoff.
- There are no games on either weekend of Spring Break.
- Most games are on weekends, both Saturday & Sunday. You will have some weeks where you play both days.
- The season concludes with a Playoff beginning the first week of June.
8. FAMILY COMMITMENT: Parents of players will be asked to contribute to the operation of their team by the Team Manager. This includes: helping at practice & games, scorekeeping, field preparation, communication, and team gatherings.
9. TOURNAMENT & ALL STAR SELECTIONS:
- TOURNAMENT – Two 12 player teams will be selected by the Managers and the Commissioner in late April to represent OBA in an 8U tournament.
- ALL STAR – One 12 player team will be selected by the Managers and the Commissioner the first week of June to represent OBA in an 8U tournament in San Bruno over the 4th of July weekend.
- More detailed Information on Tournament and All Star team selections will be provided at your team meeting prior to the start of the season.
The Goal of Pinto is to develop the skills necessary to play Mustang baseball.